Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies
From its inception in 1907 as the Dropsie College for Hebrew and Cognate Learning, the Katz Center has played a central role in advancing the study of Judaism in the United States. As the first institution with a state charter to grant degrees in Jewish studies, Dropsie College eventually awarded more than two hundred PhDs, becoming the country’s primary educator of Judaic scholars. In 1993, Dropsie College merged with Penn and in 2008 the Katz family endowed the Center in memory of former Board chair and philanthropist Herbert D. Katz. Today, as the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies, the Center continues to attract preeminent scholars from around the world and to chart new scholarly directions and discourses on a wide range of themes critical to the study of Jewish culture.